Matatu Owners Association president Albert Karakacha has announced that a definitive directive on the ongoing nationwide matatu strike will be issued at 5 pm on Monday.
Karakacha made the announcement as National Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi revealed that he would be chairing a high-level meeting with matatu operators as the government moves to address concerns arising from the ongoing nationwide transport strike over rising fuel prices.
In a statement released amid the nationwide shutdown, Karakacha said the communication expected later in the day would provide clarity on the next course of action and the expected timeline of the industrial action that has brought public transport services to a near standstill.
“A definitive directive will be issued at 5pm today. This communication will outline the next phase of our action and provide clarity on the expected timeline,” Karakacha said.
In an interview with Citizen TV, Mbadi said the meeting would bring together officials from the National Treasury, the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Energy and representatives of the matatu sector in an effort to find a way forward following widespread disruptions caused by the strike.
“This afternoon at 4pm we have a meeting of the National Treasury, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Energy and matatu operators,” Mbadi said.
“We want them first to understand where we are and then explore any possibility of further action.”
The strike, triggered by rising fuel prices, saw matatus, cargo transporters, ride-hailing operators, boda boda riders and some private motorists withdraw services from the roads in protest against the high cost of fuel and the rising cost of living.
According to the Matatu Owners Association, the suspension of transport services had been widely observed across the country, resulting in what it described as a successful and peaceful shutdown.
“The suspension of transport services is being observed across the country. Commercial transport operators and private motorists and rig owners have voluntarily withdrawn from the roads, resulting in a successful, peaceful, and comprehensive national shutdown,” the statement read.
The transport crisis left thousands of commuters stranded in major towns including Nairobi, forcing many workers and students to walk long distances or seek expensive alternatives such as taxis and boda bodas.
Major roads in parts of Nairobi and its outskirts experienced protests and barricades, with some youth lighting bonfires and blocking roads using stones and burning tyres.
Despite the disruptions, Karakacha called for calm and urged all stakeholders involved in the demonstrations to remain peaceful and law-abiding.
“We urge the general public, drivers, SACCO leadership, and all stakeholders to remain calm and conduct themselves strictly within the law. Avoid provocation and maintain discipline at all times,” he said.
The Matatu Owners Association also maintained that it had adopted a zero-tolerance approach against violence, intimidation and destruction of property during the protests.
“We uphold a firm zero-tolerance stance against violence, harassment, intimidation, or vandalism. Any unlawful conduct should be reported immediately to law enforcement agencies,” Karakacha stated.
The association further appealed to protesters and motorists to ensure emergency vehicles including ambulances and fire engines are allowed unhindered passage during the demonstrations.
Karakacha also warned against the spread of misinformation regarding the strike, insisting that all official communication would only be issued through the association’s communication desk.
