Pokot South MP David Pkosin now says that farmers from the maize producing regions are now happy and willing to sell their produce to the government.
The MP has indirectly admitted that farmers have been hoarding maize, noting that they will now release it and sell it out for consumption.
He claims that this has only come to be after Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mithika Linturi came out and stamped his feet on the matter.
The lawmaker has added that farmers are now happy that they know who they are dealing with, and the fact that it is not Trade CS Moses Kuria.
“The CS has said the importation will be reviewed in February, now farmers all over the place are aware of who is in charge of Agriculture,” he said in Parliament on Tuesday, reports The Star.
He was responding to the fact that Kuria has been trying to take over the maize importation matter, even threatening farmers in the process.
Last week, for instance, Kuria said that the farmers will have to release their horded maize, failure of which the government will proceed and import it.
Pkosin, one of those who have been very vocal against the importation plans, pointed out that it was very wise of Linturi to take up the matter.
“I am happy about Mithika Linturi’s response, he has now shown the country who is in charge,” the parliamentarian is further quoted.
His remarks come as good news for the millions of Kenyans who depend on Ugali, as is suggests that cheaper maize meal could be on the way.
by: Curtis-Otieno
